Portable Bunkhouse or Container Cabin
Modified shipping containers provide safe and comfortable living environments in the outdoors. The small, foundation-free footprint of shipping container structures makes them ideal for sensitive ecosystems that are bar permanent structures.
Seeking a long-term home? Please read our guidance on residential homes.
House seasonal workers in a shipping container bunkhouse
Employees for the Park Service and Fish and Wildlife departments often spend weeks in the wilderness. A shipping container cabin is the perfect outpost for employees and seasonal workers to cook a hot meal, take a shower, and sleep in a comfortable environment protected from the outdoors.
A shipping container cabin can boost morale and extend the time employees spend in the field all while respecting limits on structures in protected habitats.
Advantages shipping container cabins have over other modular and non-permanent structures:
- Secure. People are safe and equipment is secure within a shipping container constructed of 16-gauge, Corten steel (or weathering steel). Steel doors, deadbolt locks, and optional burglar bars keep out intruders – including bears.
- Durable. Built to withstand the elements (rain, humidity, heat, cold, high winds, etc.) of the open sea, shipping containers offer a 25-year lifespan that’s tough to beat.
- Small footprint. Installing a pre-constructed shipping container – often no foundation is needed – gives workers a place to rest where permanent structures aren’t possible.
- Utility friendly. Easily connect and disconnect your cabin to existing utilities or to a self-contained greywater and solar system.
- Customizable. The options for customization are endless. Visit our container modification options page for inspiration.