- What's Possible
- Floor Plans
- Multi-Container Buildings
- About Us
- Contact Us
The colder months are quickly approaching and in some parts of the country winter is already here! If you own a shipping container structure, it’s important to prepare your unit for the freezing temperatures. Both shipping container maintenance and thoughtful climate control modification options help protect container structures from harsh winters. Here’s what you need to know to prepare your unit.
In the weeks leading up to an anticipated drop in temperature, begin to inspect your container unit. Shipping container maintenance is a pivotal part of container ownership and regular inspections and repairs help keep your container in great condition. Note this short list of shipping container maintenance preparations for freezing temperatures.
1. If your container unit has plumbing, open drain lines or keep a running drip to prevent pipes from bursting.
2. If you plan to leave your container unoccupied in freezing temperatures, clear the plumbing traps using a wet/dry shop vacuum.
3. Inspect weather stripping and caulking for leaks and replace as needed.
4. If your container does not have a built-in heating system but still has electrical power, consider plugging in a portable heater to combat the outside chill.
5. Consider adding a rug to the container floor to provide some additional insulation. This will help keep the heat inside the unit, instead of quickly escaping.
6. Add an air conditioning and heating system. Built-in air control will allow you to control the temperature of your unit more easily, no matter the external climate.
7. Add insulation to the walls of your container structure. A shipping container manufacturer will likely have several options for you to choose from to properly prepare your container for a variety of weather changes. Here at Falcon, we offer spray foam, batt insulation, and Styrofoam insulation. Many of our customers choose to also add spray foam insulation under the floor of the container, helping to provide further temperature regulation.
If your organization is looking for a modified shipping container – to reside in hot or cold weather – reach out to us at Falcon Structures. Give us a call at 877-704-0177 or email us at Sales@FalconStructures.com to discuss your container project in greater detail. We look forward to hearing from you!
Get everything from shipping container basics, to detailed how-tos and industry news in our weekly blog. Stay inspired and subscribe!