A Shipping Container Converted to an Office? What's Possible with Falcon
Becca Hubert | Feb 21, 2024
Shipping container offices are growing in popularity thanks to their mobility, cost-effectiveness, and quick construction time. But how does one go from a humble container to an actual office space? We’re here to walk you through it.
Shipping containers converted to offices are some of our most common projects here at Falcon Structures. We’ve created workspaces for hundreds of companies, so we’ve refined the conversion process to create efficient and comfortable container office spaces. Here’s an overview of what goes into converting a shipping container into an office, as well as the extra possibilities for your project.
How To Turn a Shipping Container Into an Office
These are the basic steps Falcon takes to transform a shipping container into an office.
- Select the Right Container: We typically use one-trip containers for modified workspaces. These containers are true to their name and have made only one trip from abroad, typically Asia, and therefore have minimal wear and tear.
- Cut and Reinforce Openings: Your container office needs at least one door and a few windows. Our team will make those openings, then reinforce them with steel framing to maintain the structural integrity of the container.
- Framing and Insulation: Similar to a stick-built structure, shipping container offices need framing and insulation. Batt or spray foam insulation are the most common choices for our floor plans.
- Electrical and Climate Control: A shipping container office needs to be comfortable and usable. We’ll do electrical rough-in and finish-out for lighting and outlets, then install a PTAC unit to keep the interior comfortable in any climate.
- Interior & Exterior Finish-Out: Your shipping container office needs a few final touches at this point. We’ll install durable flooring, paint the interior drywall, and give the exterior a fresh coat of paint.
Common Shipping Container Office Modifications
A shipping container office from Falcon Structures can be simple and straightforward like one of our quick-ship floor plans. But when a customer comes to us with unique requirements for their container office, we can customize it to meet their needs. Here are some of the common ways we customize a container office.
- Observation Windows: An extra wide window offers extra natural light and better visibility to keep an eye on field operations.
- Heavy Duty Air Conditioning: A wall-mounted AC unit keeps larger container office structures extra cool, especially if the workspace will be used on a hot and rugged jobsite.
- Kitchenette: A container office can serve many purposes. Some customers choose to include a kitchenette so workers can enjoy a break area.
- Bathrooms: Modified shipping container offices can be outfitted with plumbing, just like a traditionally constructed office.
How You Can Use a Shipping Container Office
Falcon’s customers continue to find innovative ways to use shipping container workspaces. We’ve seen these structures prove their versatility across a variety of industries and use cases.
- Leasing and Sales Offices: We see many housing developments popping up all over our hometown of Austin, Texas. With them tends to come the travel trailer office. We’ve helped several customers replace the bland and rickety trailers with portable, durable, and customized container leasing and sales offices.
- Construction Site Offices: Foremen and project managers on construction sites need somewhere to take calls, send emails, and conduct meetings that is preferably not in the cab of their company truck. Container offices provide a comfortable space within a compact footprint.
- Oilfield Offices: Oilfield operations are notoriously rugged, but container offices offer cooling comfort for workers. And since the containers are designed to be relocated, companies can easily transport them to the next man camp or well pad.
- Guard Stations: Improve facility management with a portable and secure container office.
- Break Rooms: Shipping container offices also make for excellent break rooms. The built-in climate control gives workers a place to cool off, while modifications like bathrooms and kitchenettes take comfort to the next level.
Are you interested in converting a shipping container into an office? Rely on Falcon Structures’ 20+ years of experience to create the best possible version. We offer quick ship office structures, with some floor plans ready to ship as soon as tomorrow or 2 - 3 weeks from now. If your project has special requirements, we can do that, too! Reach out to our team at 877-704-0177 or email us at Sales@FalconStructures.com.
THINK INSIDE THE BOX®
WITH OUR BLOG
Get everything from shipping container basics, to detailed how-tos and industry news in our weekly blog. Stay inspired and subscribe!
We Expanded Our Shipping Container Office and You Can Too
Marissa Morin | Feb 26, 2020 | 3 min read
4 Structures that Should Be Replaced by Modified Shipping Containers
Stephen Shang | Apr 19, 2021 | 3 min read
Why Oil and Gas Companies Use Modified Shipping Containers
Marissa Morin | Jun 29, 2022 | 1 min read