Shipping Container Insurance: How to Protect Your Jobsite Office
Marissa Morin | May 17, 2023
Shipping container-based structures—such as portable workspaces—are durable units. In fact, the durability of a modified container allows many companies to work comfortably in remote locations with uncertain weather conditions. But remember, it’s not just a big box, it’s how you protect important work materials and even employees! Damage is always a possibility, shipping container insurance can help.
We sat down with The Nitsche Group to learn from an expert about how shipping container insurance works. The Nitsche Group is an all-inclusive independent insurance agency that facilitates and manages insurance portfolios for clients, allowing them to instead focus on managing their businesses. We even trust them to insure our own container office!
Why Shipping Container Insurance is Important
Speaking with The Nitsche Group, they reminded us that it’s important to consider the items inside the box that you’ve invested and what the entire structure means for your organization. Many of our customers know that their materials, technology, and employees are safe inside our containers, but shipping container damage could result from an unforeseen event and might delay operations. You’ll want a backup plan.
The First Step
The first thing you should do is get an insurance agent or agency. Your agency will need to have access to the correct markets to underwrite your risk (offer you the correct coverage). To determine what type of coverage you need, you’ll need to share whether you’re using the shipping container office for personal or commercial use. A jobsite office is considered commercial, but if it’s a combination of a workspace and a living space—for a remote jobsite, for example—the coverage will get more complex.
What You Need to Know:
1. Remember that insurance is situational and that every risk is unique. Your agency will need your help uncovering your main concerns related to your shipping container insurance and they’ll likely have suggestions based on expertise.
2. There are several big points for you to disclose about your office:
- What it’s for
- How many occupants plan to reside or work there
- Where it’s located
- If it’s permanent or temporary
These few points will lay the groundwork for your coverage. Different measures need to be taken if your office is in a small rural town or in a bustling city. Likewise, the risk will change if you plan to keep the container office in one location permanently or move it around from jobsite to job site.
3. Consider if replacement modifications would be important to your company. Again, your container is likely much more than “just a box,” you’ll want the insurance to account for all the components that make up the structure.
4. An agency will likely cover shipping container damage differently than a traditionally constructed building. If a container gets hit with a hailstorm, it’s not often something to even bat an eye about, but it’s probably smart to cover a large natural disaster like a tornado.
We hope this acts as a good starting point for your conversation about shipping container insurance. Our team is passionate about protection. Not only do we create container-based structures that help keep your operations safe and running smoothly, but we want to ensure you remain protected for years to come.
Want to work with us? Start with one of our tried-and-true floor plans or let’s talk about customizations. Need duplicate units? That’s our bread and butter. Reach us at 877-704-0177 or email us at Sales@FalconStructures.com.
Falcon Structures is a shipping container modification manufacturing company working to build a better world by pioneering the use of container-based structures. Falcon modifies boxes to become storage units, workspaces, bathrooms & locker rooms, living spaces, industrial enclosures, and multi-containers.
THINK INSIDE THE BOX®
WITH OUR BLOG
Get everything from shipping container basics, to detailed how-tos and industry news in our weekly blog. Stay inspired and subscribe!
Understand Shipping Container Design and Its Advantages
Marissa Morin | Nov 4, 2020 | 3 min read
When to Choose a High Cube Shipping Container
Marissa Morin | Jun 9, 2021 | 3 min read
The Must-Read Guide to Shipping Container Maintenance
Marissa Morin | Mar 10, 2021 | 4 min read